Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lucid Dream

Hey everyone,
I had an experience yesterday that I thought was worth blogging about before I completely forget it.
------------

Lucid dreaming is defined by being conscious that you are in a dream during your dream.

I often experience lucid dreaming (it's a wonderful experience that I hope would happen more frequently). This time however was significantly different.

Usually I will be in some sort of adventure setting, based in real life, or not. This gives the lucid dream a novel like effect. The same way I get immersed in a story, I get immersed in the dream.

This time though, there was no story.

I was completely detached from all motor function (and most sensory function as well). Imagine if you will a situation where you cannot see anything, hear anything, smell or touch anything. It was terrifying.

My first reaction was to call out. I reasoned (this part is what proves I knew I was dreaming) that it was still night and if I could call out, my parents would be able to come and help. As much as I tried, however, I could not make a sound.

The next thing I tried was to inflict pain on myself. If I could do that, even by just digging my fingernail into my leg, I felt that I could snap out of it. I couldn't move my hand.

So, of course, the only thing left to do was to take back control of my mind purely using mental effort. Mind over matter. The force of will. I truly believe that if you set your mind, you can do almost anything.

I calmed down, accepted the position I was in, and forced myself to at least momentarily set aside my fear. The instant I regained conscious motor function, I sat upright, which instantly broke the dream.


Now,
Once I was awake I realized how incredible the experience was.
I was fully conscious (well at least I thought so), but completely detached from my physical body. It was not an out of body experience, I think I would not have been as shocked by that. It was as if I merely existed as a consciousness in some void. I would like to clarify, to finish, that my fear was probably derived from my conscious memory of a functioning body, without the control. Next time I will not be as surprised by or (hopefully) afraid of the loss of motor function.

No comments:

Post a Comment